Friday, October 31, 2008

Imaging Light in Autumn





Optimism ebbs and flows. Sometimes I feel I'm on the right track with digital imaging; at other times I feel I am deeply deluded. 

On Tuesday, after fixing lunch for Tony, I did not shoot the photo images until after he left. I prepared the plate with food, set up the table and the lighting and took shots in what I think was a more professional way. The following day, I followed up with more studio shoots of fruits in a woven basket to which I added whimsy in the form of an Indonesian salamander crawling among the apples.

I have lately been aware how change comes very slowly. I have always told people that losing weight was a matter of changing your lifestyle. I am learning the truth of this as I begin to pare away the weight I have gained recently.

The same holds true for learning photography and digital imaging. It took me three weeks to experiment and gain confidence manually adjusting aperture on the Canon D5. Now I find myself implementing the little I know about studio lighting. I need to study lighting even more and still life is right now accessible for me to learn this.

On public TV the other day I watched a landscape painter talk about Paul Cezanne and how he changed visual art and moved it from impressionism to modernism. He set his easel at the same spot outside Aix-en-Provence to paint the various lights that bathed the Sainte-Victoire mountain and the wild valley below it. Cezanne was religious about trying to capture light. Light, too, is at the heart of photography, certainly at the heart of the images I want to capture and display.

No comments: