Thursday, October 16, 2008

Brock's Video First on Vimeo

I can't believe that I have not worked on videos since August 2007. In fact I've only finished one video and a very simple one with no video transitions or effects. I posted it on vimeo.com two days ago. Here are some of the photos from that trip I took with Brock and Linda in 2006. 

This was Brock's first trip outside of Indiana (he flew to Orlando with us last fall) and his first encounter with a real beach albeit only at Lake Michigan. He had not seen waves before so they were frightening to him at first but he loved playing in the biggest sandbox he had seen in his four-year life!

Tomorrow is the first day of the weeklong Heartland Film Festival. I am always surprised when synchronicity rears its head. I discovered vimeo on Tuesday morning and in the evening found out about the film festival. Just as my interest in digital still photography was struggling, video came to the rescue. 

I have been reviewing Final Cut Pro and hope to start uploading video clips to my computer. Frank Rohmer's workflow tutorial has been of great help. He is the first one to suggest the obvious, the cleanest way of locating all the resources one uses in making a video sequence in one folder instead of allowing the computer to automatically create the resource folders in the Mac's Movie Folder.
Earlier this year I bought a miniDV casette player/recorder deck so I don't have to use my video cameras to upload clips to the computer. The deck will also allow me to dub tapes. One casette, for instance, that I want to use in a documentary has a broken time code which I can easily fix by rerouting it through the deck.

I am not leaving still photography but I'm excited to start working with videos again! In a way I've had videos in the back of my mind these last few weeks. I've been formating my photo images in the 16 x 9 aspect ratio of Widescreen HD videos!

To view Brock's video, go to vimeo.com/duendearts. You can also click to start a smaller version of it on the right panel of this blog. This is about the simplest video one could make but being my first completed video I am happy with it. It's a parent's pride in his first offspring no matter how badly the child turns out to be!

No comments: