Thursday, September 11, 2008

Unusual Energy

Energy today was unusually high but I did not get to work on digital images until I came home tonight from the gym.    
I spent the morning writing before it was time to prepare lunch with a friend. 

Summer bounty is even more treasured knowing my pots of salad greens and herbs will soon be gone when fall turns to winter. I have come to love the bitter cress that mixed with the tiny Vietnamese basil leaves and baby red-leaf lettuce is wonderful with just some balsamic vinegar. 

For entrée I quickly seared chicken breast in a stick-proof pan with olive oil and fresh rosemary leaves, topping that with freshly made salsa. Lime juice is another late object of my love. It imparts to simple dishes a tartness I associate with South American cuisine. 

A third recently acquired love is seedless cucumber which is crisper than ordinary cucumber. The snap of biting into chunks of the dark-green-skinned vegetable satisfies some deep hunger for the sounds of festive eating.

Homemade raspberry jam topped chunks of late summer cantaloupe that we ate while discussing Harry Potter star, Daniel Radcliffe, coming to Broadway this fall. The latest Details also featured salumi as the latest food craze. I came away from Jungle Jim, the fantastic food emporium north of Cincinnati with several hard European sausages. Mario Batali's father who followed his son's example and spent time in Italy learning authentic Italian cooking is making sausages in the States said to compare favorably with those in the Old Country.

I did not get around to working on Minda's shoot until tonight, after coming home from the gym. It is now after one, Thursday morning, way past my bedtime. 

No comments: