Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Holland on My Mind

We're driving back to Indiana today and I'm ready to be back home again but the trip here to Holland and Western Michigan has been wonderful! I love the sound of waves on the lake and the landscape of cascading froth rushing and crashing on miles of smooth, sandy beaches. For two nights I indulged myself on 12-ounce prime rib, something I rarely have back home. Here at Spectators on the outskirts of Saugatuck, prime rib is at its best. Is it just memory perhaps that makes anything delectable, something we would travel miles to experience again?
 
After visiting the Dutch sites in Holland, we drove down to Saugatuck where we spent the bulk of the day. Brock was delirious with happiness as he played at the children's area at Butler. He went back for seconds after lunch at Pumpernickel. Later we drove to Wave Crest where Linda bought plants for the shady hillside leading to the lake at her new/old home in Carthage. I bought a Japanese evergreen for the empty spot on shaded border for $25. Wave Crest has some of the most unusual plants but they apparently relocated their exotic birds to Grand Rapids eight years ago. One of the gardeners was incredulous when I asked her about the birds. She can't believe I hadn't been there in at least eight years.
 
It was fun revisiting sites in the area I had not visited in ten to fifteen years. We drove out to Crane Farms and found ourselves in the You-Pick-It area where I bought a dozen plump peaches newly picked from the trees surrounding us. I sampled the fruit before buying the lot. It tasted of Michigan water, air and sky!

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: