Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A New Day for a Videomaker

I have finished a rough cut of a two-minute video that friends requested I make for them to greet another friend who is getting married in Shanghai at the end of the month. At first I didn't want to do the video. Most people nowadays post videos as they shoot them with their iPhones or cellphones or still cameras without editing them. This is why we have billions of YouTube videos. I consider myself a professional so if I make the video I can't release it unless I feel it reflects my professionalism.
 
I'm glad I undertook the small project. At this point, any video project is a learning experience for me. I decided not to use all the bells and whistles. I used a simple camcorder setup to shoot the clips but since they both wanted the video to come out well they followed my directions. This was, in fact, the first video I directed! I love it!
 
Doing the Dubrovnik video taught me what "storytelling" was. I experienced for myself what film editors do to put together what the director and cinematographer have shot using the shooting script to create the movie that the public sees. In effect, the editor is the last person to actually make the finished product. Depending on how involved the director is with the editing process, the editor can change the script based on what was shot to create a movie with the emotional and visual impact that works best for the purpose the movie "team" wanted to meet. Making movies or videos is exhilarating!

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: