Friday, March 20, 2009

Manual exposure comes home


I knew that if people just kept doing what they like to do they will get better at it. I just never thought this would apply to me, too. It does. I have a long way to go with learning to create images I can be proud of but another saw is proving true. It is hard to see where you really want to go until you've taken a few steps and can see a little more of the horizon. Progress must come in stages, each one a beginning and an end.
 
Without planning to do this today I turned the camera selector to manual while shooting at noon today. I had been playing with aperture for months now, mostly when I want to adjust depth of field, but have only played with shutter speed a couple of times. Today it all came together. I didn't notice before how in manual mode a scale appears on the LCD showing the "standard" exposure and how the current manual settings would be underexposure or overexposure. This makes shooting in manual mode so much simpler.
 
This image of an iron Buddha that I coupled with sweet, red peppers came together again without much thought. Later I decided to pair the two because bright red looks elegant with black but that's ratiocination after the fact.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: