Friday, March 20, 2009

Lunch can be healthy and quick


Lunch can be healthy and quick. When I saw my friend, Kevin, last November, he suggested I cook my vegetables and give my pancreas a break. Serendipity came to the rescue. I love eating crunchy, fresh salads but with a non-stick casserole I learned to sauté the usual salad ingredients after coating the cookware with olive oil over high heat. Crushed garlic and green onions are wonderful to start the sauté. Once everything has been added to the casserole, I cover it and turn down the heat to moderately high and steam the "salad." My friend, Tony, gave me Chinese stir-fry seasonings from Dean Jacobs. The Oriental Blend and Mild Szechuan don't contain salt and I didn't use salt initially. Now I have resumed using salt again but more deliberately and learned to keep boiled chicken breast in the fridge to add a special touch to the sauté some days like this first day of spring. Hooray!

Posted via email from Duende Joes

No comments: