Monday, March 30, 2009

Getting out into the spring-refreshed outdoors is like airing musty winter closets


The one day this week forecast as sunny and I was going to spend the day reading in bed. No, siree, I was not going to waste a day like today. Reading is not of itself wasted time but I can always read at night before falling off to sleep. Days like today are for getting about and doing something with this amazing light.
 
The burritos at McDonald's at 10:25 Monday morning are stiff and old but they succeeded in getting me out of the house. I keep thinking I'd switch off my AT&T land line but the included Freedom wireless has been my lifeline to the Internet these many years. I can work at the computer at McDonald's almost as easily as I do at home.
 
The light in spring is clear like teardrops. To step outdoors is to wake up the senses. The magnolias, both the luscious pink that covers the medium-sized trees and the white star variety on shrubs, are blooming. Their blooming is one of spring's highlights for me. Almond trees are creamy-white candles on allées at shopping malls. The boughs of crab apples are shadowed with grayish-pink buds auguring their ostentatious show that would signal the peak of spring blooms in mid-April. April is two days away.
 
Last year in May I flew to Southern Italy, my first trip to Europe without Merma. As much as I love spring, I wanted to experience it in Europe where mountainsides and meadows fill with flowers. I was not disappointed. I want to go again but I may not be able to go again for a couple of years. Later this year, we go to Northern Spain, next year visit Florence, Tuscany and Umbria for the chocolate festival ; I want to go back to the Philippines in 2011.
 
This photo was taken on the island of Capri off the tip of Massa Lubrense on the Gulf of Naples.

\
fresh as if just awoken from dreamless sleep. The regular and star magnolias are blooming, the crab apples grayish-pink with leaf buds, the world awaits my camera!

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: