Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pomegranate Dreaming

The last few days have been kitchen days. The weather has been unseasonably warm with plenty of sunshine lighting up trees that just now are turning to reds and yellows. It's the good life.

Last Sunday, ostensibly to show Audrey how to make pie crust, we gathered after meditation for lunch, an afternoon movie (Journey to the Center of the Earth on Blu-Ray), and an evening snack of fresh peach pie. Yummy!
For Sunday, I modified a recipe for eggplant Parmesan by introducing a lower layer of lasagna-style ricotta cheese. For lunch today with Tony, I made quiche for the first time in some fifteen years. I wanted another vegetarian meal so instead of making the traditional Quiche Lorraine that I used to make, I substituted giant white asparagus with sautéed white onions and scallions with thyme. It was a meal from paradise.

We have not had a killing frost yet so I still had upland cress on the deck outside the living room. I brought in two pots of Italian parsley and a pot of Vietnamese (purple) basil. So far they are surviving in the south-facing window seat in the bedroom.

So salad today was red-leaf lettuce, cress, English cucumber with a very light dressing of aged balsamic vinegar. For dessert we had organic apple slices, whipped cream and raisins braised in coffee liqueur, KahlĂșa.


No comments: