Monday, November 10, 2008

Monon Trail in Autumn

I took these photos late afternoon 8 November 2008 on the Monon Trail north of 86th Street. I was trying out my 50mm lens with the Canon D20. I missed being able to zoom and crop the picture that way but got used to moving me and my camera instead of the lens zoom. The lens aside from the glass is plastic so is very light. Otherwise I did not see much of a difference in the photos themselves. I should try the lens out with the Canon D5 and see if it takes better-resolution photos with the large 1.8 aperture.
In the studio, I got used again to moving the camera instead of zooming the lens when using the 50 mm. I was glad to see I didn't have to be far away from the subject to use the lens which in a digital camera has the equivalent length of 80 mm. It might find its best use when I shoot models indoors. Then I can be more creative with the lighting because the lens is reputed to shoot without added lights in dark environments. In fact I tried using it today to shoot a plate presentation not using any lights. Unfortunately I hand-held the D20 and my hand was not steady enough. The resulting photos were too blurred to be of much use.



No comments: