Monday, September 28, 2009

Spanish food and culture, adios!

The tour of Spain, highlighting the green, mountainous north, ends today. I am flying back to the States on Delta at noon.

Travel is exhilarating. I love sampling the breads, cured meats, cheeses, and pastries of various parts of the world. Food encapsulates the culture of a country and its people, and reflects the regional experience which fascinates me no end.

Some people on the tour spoke of how they didn't like Spanish food. For me Spanish food is the dark side, the opposite side of food I knew as a child in the Philippines. I love the spices the Spanish use because they are the same as those used on the islands they once ruled.

We're in Madrid, cosmopolitan and stylish in the area around the Cybele fountain, touristy and historical around Plaza de Oro but I can understand why the early Filipino illustrados largely lived in Barcelona where art is softer and divergence from the mainstream is cultivated.

Posted via email from Duende Arts

No comments: