Monday, December 1, 2008

Revisiting Scott

I've been away long enough from the photo shoots I did earlier this year that I can see the images I took as though they were new again. A great number of the photos I didn't even look at long enough to be truly critical of the work I did. I am realizing how burnt out I was with the rapidity of my exposure (no pun intended here) to model photography.
With the prospect of shooting models again, I've been thinking how my way of looking at models in particular and photography in general has changed in the last seven months. That I have changed there is no question. My work processing images with Photoshop has developed my photographic eye in a way I didn't plan. Stumbling along in the dark I had no clue how to proceed. These last months have demonstrated the strength of my interest in the media. Taking photos and processing a few of them each day is not the quickest way to learn the trade but this has made the learning process more of an organic one.
I've processed some of these photos with Aperture back in May. The resulting images however are way different. If anything I've made the colors pop out even more. They now appear more three-dimensional rather than just highly colored.

Aside from from working with my own photos I've continued to view the work of other photographers and filed away in my head what I liked and what I'd like to adopt in my own images. I have not gone artistic yet. There is so much I'd like to do in post-production but my focus so far has been quite conventional. I do want to split off from the herd but the direction to take has not appeared clearly enough yet to pursue.

If the work I did today is an indication of a change in how I look at images I may be ready to take the process to the next step. At the gym today, walking round and round the catwalk above the workout floor, I meditated on how I'd like to shoot models in the future. I want to create not just images of models showing different facial expressions. I want to create atmospheric images, images that evoke an emotional reaction, hint at a story behind them. Because of my interest in films I want to create cinematic images. Since I don't have access yet to large physical sets cinematic images would mean drama in tiny spaces. One day I want to have a large studio so that space can dwarf the subject, the environment become a character in the images I create. Until that day comes I'll have to make do with what I have. I've largely done head shots and torso shots. I want to do more full-body shots. I love working in front of a white or black background but now I also want to utilize other spaces as well. I started doing this at my last shoot with Scott and Arron but didn't get far. After our work at the pool I was not able to sustain the creative tension. The day had its own purpose which I feel we achieved, leaving more now for me to aspire to.

No comments: